katie goes....

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Big Decisions

In San Jose, during a layover on my journey north to Guatemala I decided that it was time to go all the way...north that is. My journey met expectations I could not have anticipated, and for the time being my appetite for backpacking was satiated. It was time to go home: where the sheets smell like flowers, the refrigerator takes the place of menus that beg for money, where I can shuffle around in slippers, drink cocoa by the fire, and I can ask for hugs without worrying about potential consequences.

Sarah, who was already home at this point, agreed to help me surprise my family...an added thrill to coming home early. I landed in Portland on Tuesday night and caught the MAX to my sister's studio. Once I got off the train I was skipping and making strange squealing noises...when I finally made it to her door and knocked, she opened it and just stared at me. Normally she is queen of strange surprises so for me to pull it off was quite exciting. We drove home to Silverton to be with my ripped baby brother, who will be heading to college in the fall, my absolutely loving parents and freshly baked heart shaped cookies for Valentine's Day. Oh to be home.
After soaking up the luxuries in Silverton I am heading back to Portland, the city I love. My canvas is blank and I have yet another opportunity to pick out the paint, glue, glitter and woodchips that will piece my life together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home