I love bikes...

and I´m learning to love their parts.
Robert Pirsig´s book, ¨Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" is intruding on my way of living. Pirsig begins his book by presenting what he sees as an irreconciable conflict between the classic and romantic modes of thought. The romantic mode looks at the immediate artistic appearance of something, and it is concerned with its inspirational, imaginative and creative attributes; the classic mode of thought is concerned with facts and the underlying scientific explanation of why something is the way it is.
This conflict is something I´ve been aware of for as long as I can remember because my dad is a classic classic thinker, and he can surely attest to my resistence towards the nuts and bolts of life´s surroundings: bikes, cars, computers. He´s attempeted to patiently walk me through the steps of each and I would shrug my shoulders because I didn´t have the paticence, mind space or desire to know such things. If it breaks...shucks, better find someone who knows how to fix it. The irony is that by definition I am a true blue romantic moder living and working in an environment filled with screws, washers and wires.
What does a lamb like me do in this ticking environment? Relate. Pirsig says technology comes across as very cold and doesn´t present an opportunity for any personal connection...a turn off for those of us who are primarily ¨feelers.¨ In order to overcome this distance one must relate to the technology and give it some sort of personal quality that is appealing. Instead of looking at it as a complicated enemy I am now trying to look at each little piece of metal magic as a dear friend.
So now it´s me and Mr. Bike.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home