katie goes....

Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Morning that Made It

I woke up and went for a refreshing run...letting my mind float along as my body did all the work. When I got back to the shop Allie and Colin and I had our regular bowl of mosh - with bananas, cinnamon, raisins, and honey it is a Wheatie-esque start to a long day in the shop.

I set to work on what I have been refering to as the devil bike. When I pulled it out of the pile 2 days ago I didn´t realize until it was too late that everything was wrong with it...impossible I thought. Well, with Mr. Pirsig as my guide I decided not to let it beat me. When the brake anchor bolt began to get under my skin I said, ¨Excuse me bolt, if you don´t want to fit on your own I´m going to make you fit.¨ Two hours later and a few steps closer to developing carpal tunnel syndrome that bolt fit perfectly into place...most beautiful bolt I´ve ever seen!

During my two hours of metal molding the neighborhood niños were running around the shop like monkeys set free: jumping off the stairs, climbing the dangling ropes, and one of them decided to pee in the shower. Johanna, the secretary/volunteer coordinator/babysitter/angel at Maya Pedal always finds things to keep them occupied so she brought a rusty old bike down and had all five of them scrubbing the rust off of it. She rewarded them, and us, with chocobananas - delightful frozen treat.

Once their bellies were full the boys mellowed out. One propped himself on the bike next to me and sang along with the radio...things like, ¨You´re the only one I need,¨ etc. He may only be 6, but he has serious star potential. Meanwhile the other boys were playing with the tire pump. One would pump and the others took turns putting the end that expels air to their mouths- inflating children. Yes, at first glance I was concerned watching their adorable little cheeks puffing out as their friend pumped away, but Johanna´s sweet smile as she watched them play washed away my worry and the incident has left an amusing mental picture in my mind that I will treasure.

A newly shaped bolt and the entertaining children made for a perfect Maya Pedal morning.

Editor´s Note: It wasn´t the brake anchor bolt that was the problem so the author is keeping her beautifully molded screw as a reminder that anything can be made to fit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home